We value the ideals of an international focus which brings social and cultural diversity to our College. Our International program fosters awareness and understanding between our Australian born students and our International students through an extensive program of academic, social and cultural enhancement. Our aim is to provide opportunities for all our students to develop networks and links which span the global divide.
Parkdale Secondary College works closely at developing internationalism at a number of levels. Our strong International students program provides the opportunities for oversees students to become part of the Parkdale learning community for various lengths of time. Most students live in the Parkdale community and attend Parkdale Secondary College for between six months and three years.
Our College also has close links with overseas schools. We have a designated school exchange to our Japanese sister school, Osaka Nishi High School, as well as Utahloy International School in Guangzhou, China where our students experience cultural difference and make global connections through attending school and immersing themselves in the local culture.
Our staff have forged close links with overseas schools and through our involvement in the iNET program of RATL, continue to develop further links with overseas providers.
Students choose to attend Parkdale Secondary College because we provide a diverse curriculum and a welcoming learning environment
CURRICULUM at PARKDALE SECONDARY COLLEGE
All students in Year 9 study a core curriculum of:
English (EAL students are immersed in mainstream classes but assessed against EAL levels)
Language (Japanese or French)
They select 4 elective subjects from the areas of Health/P.E, Technology and The Arts.
Compulsory Subjects: (2 yearlong subjects)
- English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- Mathematics (either Academic Maths or Mainstream Maths)
Elective subjects (8 Semester based subjects)
We offer a broad range of elective subjects – further details can be found in our Year 10 course handbooks on our website.
VCE subjects in Year 10
Selected students are encouraged to commence their VCE studies whilst in Year 10. Subject selections can be found in our VCE course handbook on our website.
Subjects they may select are:
- Bridging EAL (for students requiring additional support with English)
- First Language (for students who wish to gain additional credit for VCE.)
These students study their first language with the Victorian School of Languages and attend classes outside of normal school hours. The school supports them with their enrolment in these courses.
- Mathematics – With teacher permission students may elect to study VCE Further Maths or Mathematical Methods whilst in Year 10.
VCE – Year 11 & 12
- English as an Additional Language is a compulsory subject for all International Students.
- Unit 1 & 2 - Students must select 5 elective subjects.
- Unit 3 & 4 – Students must select 4 elective subjects.
Please refer to the range of subjects available in the VCE course handbook on the website.
EAL classes are small to allow for more personalised support of our International students. – we aim for no more than 16 students
Parkdale Secondary College has agreements with local TAFE colleges to deliver VET subjects such as hospitality, Community Services, Early Learning & Child Care as well as Trade certificates such as Carpentry, Electrical and Plumbing. We have a dedicated VCAL coordinator and VET administrator to support students with enrolment in these subjects and monitor their progress.
Internationals students are required to maintain a 80% attendance rate to meet the conditions of their visa.
International students are counselled and supported with their academic progress. Students who are failing to meet a satisfactory level of achievement may be offered the opportunity to repeat a year level (dependent on age and visa conditions) in order to build their confidence with English and develop strong study habits. Academic progress counselling occurs at regular intervals for students who are identified as at risk of not meeting their requirements.
Full Student Visa conditions can be found via the link below.
ADDTIONAL PROGRAMS at PARKDALE SECONDARY COLLEGE
- Technology is used widely within our curriculum as a valuable teaching and learning tool as well as allowing real time communication between teachers, students and parents.
- Students are required to bring their own laptop to school each day. The required specifications can be viewed on our BYOD documentation on the school website.
- The college provides students with internet access, an email account and IT support.
- Compass portal that allows onshore and overseas parents access to their child’s timetable, attendance and reports
Extra-Curricular Programs (There is an additional charge for these programs)
Parkdale Secondary College is renowned for its high quality extracurricular enhancement programs. The programs offer 6 streams
Sport – Elite Sports Pathway (ESP)
- Students engage in high level coaching and competition throughout the year.
- Sports offered are Soccer, Basketball, Golf, Triathlon, Netball, AFL football and General Fittness.
The Arts – Arts Enhancement Program (AEP)
- Students engage with professional instructors and participate in a variety or performance opportunities throughout the year.
- Units offered include two steams: Dance and Music
Science & Technology – Science, Technology & Engineering Program (STEP)
- Students engage with academics and university programs as well as college staff. They participate in research projects, competitions and excursions throughout the year.
- Units offered include: Robotics, 3D Printing, Forensic Science, Super Chef, Dissection and Formula1 in schools’ program.
Writing – Writing is Necessary Program (WIN)
- Students engage with authors as well as college staff to develop their passion for writing. They participate in writing workshops, competitions and produce a school newspaper.
FACILITIES at PARKDALE SECONDARY COLLEGE
On-Site English Language Centre
The language centre at our school is designed to provide intensive English language programs for students. This is designed for newly arrived overseas students with a range of ages supported as they begin their study in Australia.
The language centre teachers are dedicated professional English as a Second Language Teacher. The students are offered a variety of services including 20 weeks of specialised language tuition before they enter mainstream educational program. Students will complete units in English, Mathematics, Health and Humanities to prepare them for entry in to Mainstream classes.
An orientation program, offers students with the support required to settle into a new country. As part of the program we run Water Safety Program, excursions to the local community and trips to the famous sites within Melbourne such as Eureka Tower and Victoria Markets.
Fully equipped modern Science laboratories
Performing Arts Precinct which includes a 350 seat theatre, large dance studio, instrumental music practice rooms, a music industry recording studio and teaching spaces for music, dance and drama.
Visual Arts Precinct that provides dedicated spaces for art, design and media. The College also displays the artwork in the gallery spaces located throughout the school.
Technology wing with purpose built classrooms teaching design & technology using Food, Wood, Textiles, Electronics, Metals and Plastics
Senior School Centre which includes large study spaces for individual and groups study as well as Senior Classes, dedicated IT classrooms and a Language Centre
Sports Stadium with three indoor basketball court catering for the sporting interests of all students and the needs of the wider community. This space also provides the school community a setting for whole school assemblies as well.
Fitness centre that is equipped with weights, exercise equipment and space which provides students with an opportunity to work on their flexibility, strength and recovery training.
Playing fields with goals and lighting to accommodate AFL, Soccer and Cricket
Library with two librarians and a large range of resources. Free tutoring on Thursday afternoons.
Cafeteria – wide range of international and healthy food on offer. Students can purchase hot food every day for lunch.
Parkdale students also access the community facilities. Don Tatnell and Mordialloc Community Centre, with a 25 metre swimming pool, fitness centre and dance studio. Mordialloc Beach and Life Saving Club. We also have an Intergenerational Hub with childcare, Kindergarten, book library, Child and Maternal Health Nurses, meeting rooms and community garden.
CARING FOR OUR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS at PARKDALE SECONDARY COLLEGE
- International Student Coordinator oversees the wellbeing, academic progress, course counselling behaviour of International Students and supports the students with connecting with community organisations, obtaining part time employment and managing Homestay relationships.
- Administrator who supports students with paperwork and homestay.
- EAL Coordinator and teachers who encourage and support our overseas students across all their subjects.
- Staff who are fluent in Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese and French across the school.
- Homestays with local Australian families (some Chinese speaking) who are carefully chosen by the school and monitored to ensure they meet all requirements.
- A Careers Coordinator who is trained in advising overseas students on university applications and choices.
- Student wellbeing team, included a visiting Chinese speaking psychologist to look after the wellbeing of our International Students.
- A Deputy Principal who oversees the program and is responsible for the guardianship of students who are in homestay and living with friends.
HOMESTAY at PARKDALE SECONDARY COLLEGE
Our homestay families are selected and overseen by our International student team. We build close relationships with these families to ensure they feel part of the college community and are connected with your child’s school life. Many of our homestay families have been involved with our International program for many years. We have rigorous processes for ensuring that we only select families who will provide the best care and support for our students.
International Students at Parkdale Secondary College are well cared for from the moment they arrive in Melbourne. Our staff collect them from the airport and deliver them to their homestay and we pride ourselves on the level of care and support our students are offered.
We invite you to make further enquiries about becoming a member of the Parkdale International family.
Mrs Melissa Treverton
Mrs Christine Braybrooke
International Student Coordinator
School: 03 95806311 (intl +613 95806311)Parkdale Secondary College
Department of Education and Training
CRICOS Provider Code: 00861K
USEFUL LINKS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Essential facts for International Students:
Public transport info: www.ptv.vic.gov.au/
Information about Melbourne/Victoria: https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx
Information about Australian culture and customs: www.movingtoaustralia.com.au/australian-culture/
Legal services (advice):
- http://www.lawstuff.org.au/ (this is the young people one)
Healthcare / general safety information / Pedestrian safety:
Information for parents and students including translated resources https://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/parents/health/Pages/sexualassault.aspx
|Other Useful Links for International Students|
|IED - Victorian International Students Program Information||www.study.vic.gov.au|
|Public Transport services around Melbourne||www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au|
|City of Kingston (includes Parkdale)||www.kingston.vic.gov.au|
|Close to school shopping||www.mentonevillage.com.au